About Me

My photo
I have 10 chickens in my backyard (which is pretty big if I may say so myself). I love writing stories and I am even starting a series. I love reading fiction books.

Followers

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Our chickens started laying!




The chickens we hatched out have finally started laying. They are part chantecler and part ameracauna. Their eggshells are an interesting green color, unlike the ameracana blue. We call them Chantecanas. The ameracauna (also known as easter egg chickens) were bred for laying blue eggs, and the chanteclair was bred for surviving cold winters. Our chickens are now perfect for this cold country. They are survivors and colorful egg layers all in one.

We will put some pictures up, so you can see the colorful green eggs for yourself!!

Our egg production had slowed down for awhile though. We had tried many things to get them laying again. First we put in a white lightbulb. It didn't seem to make a difference, so we have put a heat lamp on a timer. It took a while for them to start laying again, but now we are getting better egg production.

No comments:

Post a Comment